Learn to Rest


I had a busy week. I really did. I had no less than 10 interviews: 2 face to face, 2 video calls, 3 technical tests, and 3 HR interviews. I don't count the initial HR screenings.

If we have to be totally honest, the experience is exhausting. I feel emotionally depleted, at a point where "show enthusiasm for the job" seems like climbing a mountain before every conversation. Then, voila, the time arrives, and magically I manage to channel all the love I have for what I do.

And I really do!

I really love talking about my job and what I have been doing recently.

I also realise sitting 8 hours in front of the computer with no breaks and physical activity is not sustainable. What is more, it is actually damaging and in the long run, it is the equivalent of putting a stick in my progress. My body and mental health are not happy from the neglect they had to suffer the last couple of weeks.

What can I do?

"I want to go and hide in a dark room, under a duvet, with a cat purring, and no connection to the outside world". 

As tempting as it sounds, usually, when I reach the point of looking for an exit sign, it means I have crossed the boundaries of healthy and went into mild self-destructive mode. Unfortunately, I tend to do it quite often. On the positive side, as I deal with it frequently, I learnt to quickly recognise the symptoms and take swift actions to get back in the golden middle ground.

Bad habits from the past couple of weeks will change.

Next week I will try a new time management trick. I will schedule my breaks. Literally will put blocks of time in my calendar where I will move away from all the screens and go for a walk, go to drink water, or simply hang on the balcony and look at the blooming trees.

10-15 minutes a few times per day should give me the necessary time resource to take care of myself.

Work is important. Humans, YOU, are even more so!

Take care of yourself!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bus Test

The Big Picture